Thursday, March 18, 2010

Interview with R&B singer Deja Bryson



Déjà Bryson is a rising singer and songwriter from Richmond, CA. Her album “I’m Power” is a smooth R&B record designed to empower listeners. It is available on iTunes, Amazon.com & All Rasputin locations. Find out more about Déjà Bryson at www.dejabryson.com


So….Let’s talk music

Q: Do you remember the first song you ever performed and how did you feel before you got on stage?

Deja: The first song I performed was at UC Berkeley for a recital. The song was called “Caro Mio Ben” the lyrics were Italian, and I was scared out of my mind!

Q: Who is your inspiration and what made you decide to take singing to the next level?

Deja: I’m inspired by so many things and people. I love my old school artists like Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, Ronald Isley, Marvin Gaye and Peabo Bryson, but I also love R. Kelly, Aaliyah, Tupac, Jay-Z, & Mary J. Blige.

I decided to take my music to another level when I recognized I had something to say, and a magnificent way of saying it. God blessed me with some very special talents and I felt/feel it’s my calling to make music for the world.

Q: What are some challenges that you face being an up and coming artist?

Deja: The biggest challenge is balancing out what I like and foreseeing what people will like. It takes a lot of guts to create something and present it to the world for their judgment. Everyone thinks they’re an expert. So I have to ignore them when
their opinion doesn’t matter, and listen when it does.

It’s also challenging to make music from the heart when so much music is made for a specific event, place or purpose. Genuine music is not predetermined, it just flows naturally.

And although these things can be challenging, they’re necessary for growth and improvement and I welcome them as an artist because it keeps me from being complacent.

Q: Being an artist do you like performing more than being in the studio?

Deja: I’d rather perform any day. There’s a high that comes from standing in front of a room full of people and being the focal point. To be able to make people escape with you and give them even a snippet of your gift and your message is irreplaceable. But, I do love recording! It’s a time to be intimate with yourself. You find out how you really feel in a recording session and to bring that energy to a record and be able to go back and play it anytime is also a high.

Q: What is next for Deja Bryson?

Deja: I’m on the rise so right now I have a lot of hard work to do! I’ll be doing an “I’m Power Promo Campaign” to introduce people to my first album, “I’m Power.”(Available now on iTunes, Amazon.com, & All Rasputin locations) This campaign launches in April 2010. I’m also working on new music for a sophomore project. This is the most exciting time of my life, because I see my hard work beginning to pay off. I know what message I want to send to the world, and I’m in a wonderful position to do it.

http://www.dejabryson.com/

www.twitter.com/dejabryson

www.facebook.com/dejabryson

www.myspace.com/dejabmusic

No comments:

Post a Comment