Saturday, March 20, 2010

Interview with the "PENSTRESS" Singer/Songwriter Samm


Samantha Hope Evans, also known as Samm, was born and raised in Oakland, California on March 26, 1984. By the age of five, Samm never imagined that music would be her life’s passion, but little did she know, everything she was doing brought her closer to it. She participated in every school and church musical, singing solos and duets, growing closer to on of her best friends, the microphone! Samm ignored all of these connections because all she knew was music and that she loved to sing! It wasn’t until Samm reached middle school, in which she began writing poetry. At such a young age, Samm had a lot to say. Her concepts were deep and meaningful, which lit a fire to her songwriting abilities.

So....Let’s Talk Music


Q: If you had a chance to collaborate with any mainstream artist who would it be with? And why?

Samm: If I could collaborate with ANY mainstream artist, it would be Beyonce Knowles. I have followed her music career since Destiny’s Child came out with “No, No, No”. I knew she was going to be a star because of her voice. Very different! Everything she touches is amazing to me, from her performances to her vocal arrangements! I would love to get a chance to sit in the lab with her, while she is either recording a song that I wrote, or preparing for a duet with NONE OTHER, ME! Lol…

Q: if you could choose an era of music to relive again which one would you go back in time to?

Samm: I would have to say that “Old School” R&B. Marvin Gaye, Temptations, Luther Vandross, Anita Baker, and so many more wonderful artists. To me, that was real music, real singing and emotions. There were no 808’s, hardcore singing, rap/singing; it was legit feel good music! Still gets me every time!

Q: When did you realize that music was what you wanted to do? Can you remember the how you felt at the time?

Samm: I realized I wanted to do music, when I recorded my first, well-written song “Sad Song”, at the age of 15. I have been singing since I was 4 years old in church, school, and everywhere, but it was not until I wrote my own lyrics and recorded my vocals, in which I fell in love with “my” music passion. I have always loved music, and loved to sing, but I never thought I would be a singer, or songwriter. I began to surround myself with the studio and other artists. That’s what did it! I felt at home. It was a place I could go, when I wanted to express myself creatively. There is nothing like music!

Q: How did you come up with the concept for your single “Rider” Feat. Erk the Jerk?

Samm: I was in the studio with Producer Bedrock, and we had nothing. We made the beat from scratch! He started with a baseline and a weird synthesizer thingy, lol. I just started humming a melody, and then quickly put some words together. Once Bedrock heard what I was saying, and how I was singing the melody, he began adding all sorts of crazy instruments to the beat! It was some for real “magic in the making”. I initially thought of my first single, “Come On” ft. Kaz Kyzah. I wanted to do a part 2 for that song. I am all about a woman’s confidence! I think most women are confident, and it’s good to hear a song that you can relate to. Even if it really doesn’t apply to you, for that one second you hear it, you can be that woman! That’s it with me. Music motivates you and stimulates something inside, which pushes out boldness! Lyrics are important! So, every time I write a song, I base it off of how I feel, how women feel or even how men may feel. Regardless of who it is, somebody is going to feel it!

Q: What’s next for you? Will we be hearing and seeing more from you in the near future?

Samm: What’s next for me?? Story of my life, lol. You will definitely be seeing and hearing from me in the near future! Right now, I am just trying to get back out there! I took a long break, but I am back now. I have been working with everybody. Writing hooks, writing songs for others, as well as myself, and just networking! Networking is crucial! My goal is to put out a big demo project with all of my works. No matter what it is, you will be hearing about “Samm”.


www.myspace.com/sammofshocity

www.twitter.com/gotsamm

No comments:

Post a Comment